Monday, July 28, 2014

Quilt Colorado Show

One week of total fun with a great bunch of cousins and another week opening boxes that have been in storage for 20 years.  It was like Christmas in July.  Now to recover and get back to work.

Before tackling the unpacking my daughter and I absconded and went to see Quilt Colorado, which is a great show put on by the Colorado Quilt Council.  This year it was open to members only, but with over 800 members there were lots of beautiful entries.  There were numerous categories and lots of winners so I didn't take photos of all the winners, just the quilts that struck my fancy.

The "Best of Show" was awarded for "Fire in the Sky," which was absolutely exquisite.  Alice Kay Arnett's piecing was excellent and Sherry Reynolds' quilting was, once again, impeccable.  I wish I had a photo of the back as it was as beautiful as the front.  I also wish I had taken detail photos.  Live and learn!
Fire in the Sky by Alice Kay Arnett, pieced by Sherry Reynolds - Best of Show

Here is another quilt with beautiful quilting, which won "Best Home Machine Quilting."  I did get photos of the details, which follow.
Sunlit Circles by Ann Petersen.  Best Home Machine Quilting




"Affairs of the Heart" reminds me of a "Dear Jane" quilt with all the small blocks, each different from the others.  All the blocks have a heart theme.  I was especially attracted by the black background, which made the many colors glow.
Affairs of the Heart by Barb Donaho
I loved this kitty just because.  He looks like he is ready to jump out and catch a fly...or something.
His Arms Open Wide by Teresa Rives - Meritorious

This is a stunning, artistic quilt with the orchids beautifully highlighted against a dark background.
Orchids by Sharon Schlotzhauer - 3rd place Mixed Media Innovative

I think this was the most colorful quilt in the whole show.  It jumped right off the rod and made you want to dance and exclaim, "Wow!"  It deservedly won "Best Use of Color and Design," and is a lovely example of the Modern Quilt with color, line, movement and dimension.
Second Encounter by Shirley Gisi - Best use of Color and Design
Enough for today.  There are a few more, which I will share in the next post.

7 comments:

  1. Those are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have gone with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It would have been even more fun.

      Delete
  3. Amazing quilts Mardi! That must have been one wing dinger of a show! You and your daughter must have had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely show, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like it was a great show. Love those NY Beauties and the kitty. Thanks for showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have come home brimming with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...