I put together the white and the black background of the quilt. Then I pieced the side panels and machine appliquéd them onto that background. There was some excess black on the left side, which I intended to cut back once the sides were sewn down on top of it. I forgot! I didn't even think of it again....until I quilted one of the orange triangles. It was very clear that there was black fabric behind half of it with a very visible straight edge. It SCREAMED at me under the light fabric. I was not going to redo the quilt or remove all the quilting that was keeping me from getting at it.
|Black fabric behind upper orange triangle|
The background quilting of the offending triangle was very tightly sewn so I made a mock-up with scraps showing the black behind the orange, and then did the same kind of quilting with the same color thread. Why? I needed a tester. I tried some paint, but that looked awful. Than I wanted to see if I could take out the heavy quilting without ruining the fabric. YES! It worked, so I carefully ripped out the quilting of the one unsightly triangle. It took a couple of hours and a good audio book. Then I sprayed water on the fabric to relax the fibers and rubbed a soft toothbrush around to gently induce the needle holes to disappear. The fabric looked a bit used, but not damaged. Once the fabric and batting were dry I opened the triangle and carefully snipped out as much of the nasty black fabric as I could reach without cutting the quilt top. I couldn't get it all, but as you can see below, there is no longer an eye-catching straight line of black. A little bit is still there, but could be mistaken for a shadow or a natural dark spot in the batik fabric. At least I hope it looks like that! All has now been repaired, the area re-quilted, my enthusiasm restored and I am excited to move on.
|After snipping out the black and redoing the area - not perfect, but OK (I hope)|
I successfully finished the background quilting and some of the pieced side borders - still more to do on the sides. The black at the bottom will be quilted after the bird is in place. (Don't worry, it is not crooked, but is hanging wonky with a rumple in the middle - nothing permanent.)
|Background quilted and ready to receive the bird.|
|Reminds me of the Mediterranean designs.|