Sunday, January 31, 2016

All Better Now

Both my health and my Phoenix are better now.  I missed five days of sewing, but was productive in other, less intense creative pursuits. See my coat of arms.  Somehow sitting at the computer working with Adobe Illustrator was more energy efficient than wrestling a quilt through the sewing machine, but I am back on track now.  I have 3/4 of the bird attached to the quilt now.

Wings sewn down with thread painting.
It takes a lot of thread to cover the rather thick edges.  Remember the bird has its own fabric, batting and backing and those thick edges have to be covered up with thread painting.  The total comes to 4-5 layers of fabric, 2 layers of stabilizer, and 2 layers of batting.  For definition and stabilization of the interior feathers I outlined with dark red thread and a straight, free-motion stitch.  Elsewhere I free motion with a zig-zag stitch.  It took a bit of practice to learn to aim it right, but it is a great way to do bird feathers.

The only problem that arose was frequent thread breaking.  I am using Isacord thread and figured a #12/80 needle should be good because needle size is determined by thread size.   However, since there are so many layers to go through I changed to a #14/90 needle and it works much better.  Needle holes are not an issue because there is so much thread being laid down.

TIP:  If one thing doesn't work, get creative and try something else.  My bird would be dead if I hadn't done that.  It has taken a long time to re-do, but so worth it.

Sew a happy seam this week.

7 comments:

  1. Your quilt has seen a lot of revisions, but like a phoenix, you keep rising the its challenges! Another great week, another thoughtful solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Persistence is productive in the end.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the detail and colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The bird is done. Now to do the fire below, which should be a lot easier.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see the whole finished quilt! It looks amazing from what I can see

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful and thanks for the hints about what needle to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is so beautiful and great tip on the needle or...anything!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...