Monday, September 4, 2017

Quilt Creases

Creases are annoying when quilts are on display.  I had one do that when I showed it, and had several knowledgeable individuals look at it and make suggestions.  They shook their heads and ended up telling me that they don't really know why it happened.  What I have learned since is that some battings will crease more than others.  Some have a "memory" of the fold creases.  Currently, I hear that some of the big name quilters have gone to wool batting to prevent creases.

I do know that packing a quilt to mail is one way to get unwanted creases.  If your box is too big the quilt will move around and it is impossible to figure out what it will do when it is active.  Sort of like a toddler.  If your box is too small, the quilt gets crushed into the shape of the box and folds get pressed in.  Likewise if you pack too many quilts tightly into one container.  I put a little crushed packing paper in the folds and that seems to work for mailing.

Quilts can be rolled on swimming noodles and I did that for awhile, but again, the all-knowing experts are saying that some parts of the quilt are subjected to more stress than others when rolled tightly that way.  I guess the best way is to store quilts flat on a bed.  Do you have an extra bed for that purpose?  I don't.

One way to avoid creases is to fold your quilts on the bias.  See Alex Anderson's video.  After looking at it I am tempted to go back to all my stored quilts and refold them!!!  You can see another slightly different method using bias folds here.

I have no photos appropriate for the content this week so I will share these cute mule deer fawns that have been enjoying the unusually green grass (for this time of year) and munching on my wildflower garden.  They've been tasting the petunia blooms too!


Three fawns but not triplets.

Care to guess why they are called mule deer?
Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you time to enjoy the outdoors and some wildlife.

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I shall start right now re-folding my quilts. It will take a while!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. the ears? Stubborn? Sounds?
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pack my show quilts by folding on the bias like this, as extra materials are not allowed (ie paper in the folds etc). It seems to work well. My most precious quilts I hand on the walls (away from windows) with removable hooks. But I realise not everyone has the wall space, or wants to do this. A spare bed is a great option if you have one (I don't). Thanks for sharing this topic. I hope it helps lots of readers. Your deer are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great tip! I hadn't heard of that before and am going to try it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why the wool batting doesn't crease as much. Thus is a dilemma we all have dealt with so thank you for the bias tip.

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...