Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Resize a Sweatshirt

I will not be blogging until January.  We all need a break!  I will be enjoying the Christmas festivities with two of my daughters and their families...and their dogs.

I have only one sewing project that I hope to get done.  I got a really pretty sweatshirt for Christmas last year.  As soon as I tried it on I knew it was a little too small.  I like my sweatshirts roomy enough to wear a long sleeved T-shirt underneath on cold winter days.  After one round with the washing machine I knew I could not wear it.  What to do?  I really like the sweatshsirt.  My daughter had the answer because she solved the same problem with a fleece jacket she had purchased.

First stop:  Joanne's where I picked up a yard of heavy, cotton knit in a suitable color.

TIP:  Be sure to check which way has the most stretch so it works with the sweatshirt.  One direction is more stretchy than the other.  Same with fleece.  Make your cuts thoughtfully.

My plan is as follows:

1.  Cut away the underarm seam through the waist ribbing to 2 inches above the sleeve cuff leaving the cuff ribbing intact.

2.  Two to three inches above the cuff cut the sleeve all the way across its width and insert 1 inch of the new fabric, thus lengthening the sleeve by that inch.

3.  Insert a 2 inch strip of new fabric into the long underarm seam, tapering above the cuff.  This will increase the width around the sweatshirt to accommodate Christmas dinner and holiday baking.  There will be an interruption in the ribbing at the hipline, but for me that will be a plus.  If I don't like that part I may be able to find some ribbing that will work or taper the seam and restitch the ribbing seam.  Not that great an issue.  I'll wait to see how it works before making a final decision.

Sweatshirt and my canine supervisor, Dixie.
 Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you time to get your mending done.

3 comments:

  1. Will love to see the finished shirt. Hug your supervisor for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to see the finished shirt please so I can visualize the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post the results if/when I get it done. The holidays have their own crazy schedules, but I am optimistic.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...