Monday, February 19, 2018

Quantum Mechanics and Me

I have been reading a fascinating article about nano sized microtubules made of protein that live within our nerve cells.  They are being studied as the possible residence of quantum mechanics particles, which may be the basis of consciousness.  I know...that's a bit deep, but I am thinking that this week my quantum mechanics have taken a vacation.  I have not been sewing.  I have erased my way through pages of tracing paper trying to achieve a viable quilting design.

My sewing room, ironing board and sewing machine are under siege, covered with pencil, eraser, poster board patterns, used and unused tracing paper, a silk liner glove that needs repair and DH's dirty clothes hamper.  A card table fills the only free space in the room.  It is a mess, but when I sit at that table drawing, erasing and ultimately creating designs I am lost in contentment.  In spite of the frustrations, I can still find peace as I temporarily let the world take care of itself while I take care of me.  Those infinitely small particles in my brain are coming back into line as I scribble my way to a design that I think will complement the quilt.

180º view of my mess.  With the design complete I will once again
create order before I begin to sew.
The ideas I have lived with for over a year have not worked out to my satisfaction.  The center of the quilt has many small sections that I will quilt individually because I like their interactive shapes.  The outer reaches of the quilt leave vast spaces for quilting.  I have tried ideas for drawing desert scenes.  I have tried integrating several geometric borders.  Nada.  Now I am back to feathers.  I love feathers and so far they are looking the best to my mind as something I both like and am able to do nicely.

Design, which shows completed ideas as well as some of the trial ideas.
Taking a photo of this I see that I don't like the way the grids cut across the corner.  I have since draped the feathers over the grid so the almost straight line is broken.  I have plenty of time to review and revise as I stitch in the ditch.  This tracing paper will be pinned to my design wall.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you time for contemplation to keep those quantum particles under control.



7 comments:

  1. Now I can blame those quantum particles when things I try don't work out! That's a relief because it's not senility. You have real drawing talent, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can draw designs or flowers, but anything else looks like a 5-year old art project. I grew up with coloring books, but was never taught or encouraged (but not discouraged either) to learn to draw the things I see. There were other things more interesting to me, like sewing!

      Delete
    2. I just read your profile. I raised my family in Woodinville while it was still not much more than a little village. Worked in Totem Lake at Virginia Mason. Small world.

      Delete
  2. Your drawings of quilt designs are beautiful! Will you mark these on the quilt and how will you, if you do? Are you using a long arm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma. Your question about marking will be a great topic for my next blog since I will be quilting on black. Stay tuned. I quilt on my Baby Lock domestic machine. No room for a longarm!

      Delete
  3. Your title drew me in from the Sew Fresh Quilts Link-up. It is a fascinating rabbit hole, to ponder where consciousness lies. Your drawing gives us a peek into your thought process, very interesting! I am intrigued to see the quilt top and will look through your blog. My sewing studio looks a lot like yours. I don't know if messiness goes with creativity, or in my case, is a by product.. Happy Sewing, looking forward to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the messiness is a byproduct of creativity as I prefer to live within ordered space. However, I am not fanatic (obviously) as my husband, with his out-of-the-box brain, never notices a mess and can live quite comfortably in chaos. One of us must be responsible for a reasonable amount of order. Moderation=long,happy marriage.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...