Monday, April 2, 2018

Excitement

Excitement:  "A feeling of great enthusiasm and eagerness." (from my Mac dictionary).

If you are a quilter or creator you are very familiar with this feeling.  Starting a new project.  Designing a new project.  Starting a new portion of a project.  Rejecting a failed project and, yes, starting all over from scratch.  A cleaned up sewing room.  I could go on and on.  lf you are a passionate artist you know what I am talking about.

After spending a week sewing with pencil and tracing paper, I was finally ready and excited to start sewing with a needle.  A poor start meant a few ripped stitches instead of an eraser, but once I got going I was thrilled to see my designs come to life.  So exciting!  This quilt will be a palette for quilting and will be heavily stitched.  It will have very little puff, but lots of texture.  It will be one of those "cardboard" quilts, but my piecing design does not lend itself to big, soft, quilted puffs.


The start.  Pinwheel star waiting for thread so not done yet.

TIP:  Practice your quilting for 15 minutes if you haven't done it for awhile.  Keep a scrap sandwich for this purpose, knowing that it only works if you use it for some practice.  Do as I say, not as I did!  I made a mistake early on, but only needed to rip out a couple of inches so it wasn't a big deal...this time.

It is truly exciting to see the designs come to life under the needle.  It was even exciting to take down the card table on which I did my drawing.  Now I have some breathing space around me.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you time to spend with something exciting.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, I like what I'm seeing. The fabric colors are so bright and pretty, and your quilting is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start on the quilting! I love detailed quilting, also. :)

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...