Sunday, August 12, 2018

Quilting in a New Medium

DH built me a fence, but it is really a tall screen behind which I can hide the garden tools, wheelbarrows, recycling, garbage can...all the detritus of household and landscape management.  We have a faux pond, which we built to catch runoff when we have our occasional gully-washers.  It is a landscape feature with plantings in and around it.  The junkyard behind it was not attractive and spoiled the whole picture.  The fence is doing its job, but was boring and stood out like a sore thumb with its bright, fresh wood.  Odd looking.

I gathered up some flat slabs of old, gray wood that have been lying around the yard for years and years.  I arranged them on the fence and DH attached them.  The fencing is a calm, repetitive background, but too bright.  The irregular, weathered slabs added interest reminiscent of a modern quilt, and toned down the brilliance, but it still lacked something.

 It needed some quilting!

My grandfather bought this cabin in 1938.  He built a little porch where the view is best and put up 3 inch poles around it as rails.  Then he collected a lot of shapely, mountain driftwood and painted it brown like the house.  He nailed all the driftwood pieces to the poles instead of regular balusters to keep us kids from falling off the porch.  Several years ago we built a new, much larger deck across the house and those pieces of driftwood have been sitting around with nothing to do.  What better use for them than to "quilt" my fence....and so I did!  They add texture, contrast and design.  It is all a bit funky, but fun.  It has meaning to my family.  It is functional.  I love it.

"Quilted Fence"
Now, for some big, metal butterflies to add the final touch.  I'll know them when I see them.

Showing a bit of the faux pond, wildflowers and iris.
Try something in a different medium this week.  Broaden your horizons.  Have fun.



13 comments:

  1. Love the fence art piece. Very creative and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am enjoying it out my office window.

      Delete
  2. Very creative and a great way to dress up a boring but necessary fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful way to transform an ordinary, new fence into a work of art using pieces of your own family history! Love it! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kudos. I love doing stuff like this and it is always great to hear that others approve of my "work."

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. (We have a wooden fence along side the street, perhaps I should think about decorating for people to enjoy as they drive by.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to try something new. Go for it!

      Delete
  6. Awesome, love the rustic with the new, and the grayed wood. Just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! How neat that you could incorporate the old wood that has such memories! This would make a beautiful backdrop for a quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was fun to do something different.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...