Tuesday, February 18, 2020

A New Project - An Old One Finished

Sewing time has been scant to non-existent.  There have been so many things to be done and other things I wanted to play with.

I had my DNA done some time ago, but didn't really know what to do with it.  I heard about DNA Painter and then a cousin wrote about her efforts to locate the family of my ggg-grandmother using DNA so I got busy, learned the program and added my DNA to the project.  We still don't have an exact answer, but all indications point to a family that is probably hers.  Waste of time?  No, it is challenging to learn new things and keep the aging brain active.

I am one who does not collect UFQs (unfinished quilts), but I just kept making fusible stuff when my machine was in the shop.  I ended up with three UFQs hanging around and it was hard getting back to work to finish them.....until.....I saw a table topper on Facebook that would be a lovely shower gift for two upcoming brides in the family.  It is a Judy Niemeyer pattern that has been discontinued.  I got one of two left!  It is energizing to begin a new project even though I still have two UFQs.  They'll get done at some point!

I made myself finish "Sweet Lady" the collie while I waited for the pattern to arrive.  I puzzled about the binding.  With the red bow on her head I felt I needed a little something red somewhere.  Red binding was clearly not the answer, but I put down some red rick-rack under the black binding.  I think it really makes the quilt pop.  The binding is 1/4 inch and the corners were really hard because of the bulky rick-rack.  I couldn't trim it much because it frays so badly.  So the quilt has bulky corners.  I may take a hammer to them with a piece of fabric under the hammer to prevent the fabric from getting shiny.  We'll see.  This is not for show and it is far from perfect, but I am happy.  I am happiest to have finished at least one project.

Sweet Lady
Sew some happy seams today.  I wish you the thrill of a finished project soon.  Continue your learning process to keep your brain healthy.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet Lady is beautiful and the rickrack looks perfect peeping out from the binding! Looking forward to seeing what you make for the bridal shower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's adorable and the red ric rac and bow are perfect additions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. She was a wonderful pet and I am enjoying her hanging above me as I sew. Glad to have her finished too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before quilting entered my life. I used to raise and show collies. I had lovely tricolor with the call name of Daisy.
    Makes me miss my collie days.

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...