Thursday, October 1, 2020

Summertime: When?

This summer has been busy.  Since COVID destroyed all of our travel plans DH built a vegetable garden at waist height.  Wow, I don't even mind weeding it.  It is so easy when you are not bending over or crawling on the ground.  The cucumber died, but the zucchini made up for the loss. My rhubarb, which has struggled for 4 years, "dying" every summer, survived one more transplant into the "box" and is loving it there.  I have great hopes for rhubarb pie next year.  Then we had 22º weather and a snowstorm in the first week of September.  So much for the garden!

One of my beautiful iris (now gone).

I tried to blog during the summer, but Blogger redesigned their blogs and nothing was working.  Most frustrating.  It seems better now so we will see.  In the meantime summer is gone, but I am still hanging clothes to dry out on the clothesline.  Fall is really iffy weather-wise and we have had much smoke with a big fire north of us.  

Smoke cloud at sunset.

My garden:  I lost most of my beans in a very early frost.  I got two meals worth of beets and enough zucchini for two loaves of zucchini bread.  Many of my seeds did not germinate; I will buy them elsewhere next time.  Great hopes for next year!

Sewing went out the window.  Our granddaughter was hired to be a counselor at our local camp, but their whole program had to be redesigned and even the counselors were not allowed out on their days off.  However, they had five short sessions and no COVID.  The downside was that we didn't get much time with our girl.  Then the timing went out on my sewing machine so into the shop it went.  That was a circus when we found out later that the store was going out of business. I was very worried about getting my machine back.  It did get returned and the things that had been wrong all work now.  We had three weeks of happy times with family visits and the sewing room turned into a guest room most of the summer.


Bridal mask with silver sequins like her dress.

  I made masks for the small, private wedding of another granddaughter.  It was fun to make a bride's mask and decorate it with motifs left over from wedding dresses that I made many years ago.  Both of our summer brides had to cancel their weddings, but each couple chose to go ahead with a small wedding (immediate family only) and they will renew their vows next year and have the big party then.  Smart kids.

I am back working on the never-ending quilt.  It has been fraught with problems

and I am just doing my best to finish it.  It will be awesome when it is done, but not show quality where the judges are VERY fussy.  In the meantime I am working on the next two quilts within my brain.  I also have two small ones yet to quilt and bind.  


COVID has not affected us very much.  We are not big socialites so staying home is pretty much our usual way of life.  We have done less shopping, we wear our masks, and so far have remained in good health. 

As always we enjoy the local wildlife. 

Hummingbird


Tired fox squirrel

Feeding the birds


Moose and calf.


Stay safe and healthy this week and sew if you can.  (PS.  Blogger is still a mess)


 

 

1 comment:

  1. Whatever happened to the Mayan mask quilt? I loved it and hoped to see the finish of it with the Mayan birds.

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...