Sunday, June 26, 2022

Gaillardia

First post complete.  Now, what have I been doing for the last 2 years?  I am always busy.  I am a flea on a hot stove.  I am not averse to creating complicated quilts, but they take a long time to make, so I am not terribly productive when compared to some quilters I read about.

I was out walking after a rainstorm several years ago.  We have gaillardia growing all over the place.  I don't know whether they strayed from planted seeds or whether they are part of our normal flora here.  I took photos of a bunch of flowers that day, and got to the place where I was taking pictures just to take pictures.  I saw a very bedraggled gaillardia at the end of its beauty and somewhat the worse for wear after the storm, but the light was great.  I snapped the shot and when I saw it later I loved it.  That flower was colorful, dramatic and artistic.   I thought many times that I would like to do a quilt of it, but was always into some other project.  Now I had finished my latest and I did not have any UFO's.  I do not ever have UFO's.  I finish or toss.

Bedraggled gaillardia.



I even converted it to black and white.

Off to the computer where I had already developed my idea, but needed to create a pattern.  My method was fused appliqué, which I love doing.  I can create so many details that can't be pieced.  I don't think I even had to buy any fabric as I have a pretty substantial stash.  So... it was done!

I
Gaillardia quilt.

I did not succeed in showing the pokey things that come out of the center.  Maybe next time.
  Just for laughs here are some other photos I have taken of this bright and moody flower.


Sew some happy seams this week.  Have fun with your needles, threads and fabrics.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...