Monday, March 11, 2019

Prepping and Planning

Back to sewing.  Life is still happening and getting in the way a bit, but I was able to spend time on the wedding shower pillow and I think it is going to fully cover the foam form.  For the back of the pillow I used mostly the same fabrics as the front to create a star, which I paper pieced.  It is always gratifying when all those pieces are nice and crisp and the seams go together well.  The seams can be problematic as they cannot be pressed in opposite directions to nest at the meeting place.

TIP:  [As you read this you must realize that I have cork board under my canvas ironing cover.]  I have two triangles that have been paper pieced.  I need to sew them together matching several seams.  Lay the triangles right side together and put a pin through all paper and fabric at the exact junction of the seam and the seam allowance line.  Carefully lift the top seam allowance and make sure that the seams align perfectly.  Then put a short line of glue in the seam allowance to hold the fabric in place.  Press. Sew.  Usually the seams line up without a problem.  If they don't I redo and sew the seam from the other direction.

Paper pattern with fabric sewn on to the reverse
(the other triangle is underneath so right sides are together)
I discovered in the process of making the triangles that the star didn't show up if I used the busy parts of the fabric next to it, and the yellow bands at the corners disappeared.

TIP:  Put a mirror next to the edges to get an idea of what it will look like when sewn to the next piece.
First edition.
There wasn't enough fabric to fussy cut so I cut the pieces so that the black areas mostly bordered the star and the yellow bands.  I also used a lighter color fabric for the outer layer of the star.  This made a nice contrast so those features now stand out.  The floral fabric retreated to the background.

Below is the completed star block with all seams stitched-in-the-ditch.



Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you success in matching seams and happiness with the end product.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful star, and using glue to align the seams is very clever!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...