Sunday, April 28, 2019

Stitch By Tiny Stitch

All quilters know the tedium that is part of piecing and quilting.  Why do we do it?  We all have different reasons.  I was struck with the sewing bug as a very young child.  I have happy memories of sitting on my bed creating fantastical doll clothes that made me insanely proud.  I graduated to sewing my own clothes, then toddler clothes then wedding dresses, and finally quilts.  I never tire of the sewing process in general.  Nevertheless there are tasks in the process that require endless repetition.  Again, why do it?  I do it because:

*It takes my mind off the dreary tasks of life.

*I enjoy audiobooks or music while I sew.

*I look forward to my creative break every day for 3 hours after lunch.

*Creating beauty is supremely up-lifting.

*There is dancing joy at finishing a long, tedious task.

*I am a disciplined person.  I am driven to finish what I start.

*I LOVE to sew!

Thus, the quilt progresses.  Tedious, dainty stitches.  Slow going.  It takes about 9 hours to complete 1/8 of just the outer part of the border.  Satisfaction is sky high and I look forward to getting back to it each day.  Soon it will be done.

One corner complete
The photo shows the border as bright and colorful, but when looking at the total quilt the border design fades into the background - almost.  The final step of border quilting will be piano keys to flatten the outer edges with dark red thread.  Then prairie points.

Hopefully I can get the border stitching done before heading west for two weeks for a wedding shower.  It will be such fun to spend time with my far-away family.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you relief from the tedious tasks as you move on to a beautiful finish.







5 comments:

  1. Your quilting is lovely - such design and detail! That quilt will surely be an heirloom treasured for generations to come! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes it seems endless, but every stitch gets me closer to the finish.

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful quilting in that border! I can't believe it fades away. Hopefully good lighting will help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilting is stunning! You are indeed a disciplined person; it shows in your work. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...