Monday, April 8, 2019

Back Burner Again.....

That title refers to my everlasting quilt.  Why?  Read on:

My husband is hard on chairs.  He inherited my father's big, heavy, antique rocking chair and loved it, but after using it for awhile the upholstery and springs gave out.  I could have re-upholstered it, but I would have to learn how to tie the springs.  I know....it can't be that hard.  Instead we pulled another upholstered, antique chair from storage with a fairly new upholstery job.  Well, he has now destroyed the fabric and the springs on that one too.  So, we pulled out a big, beautiful caned rocker that was made in Nicaragua and that we have not previously had the space to use.  He loves it, but it needs a cushion for complete comfort.

A trip to Joann's netted some fabric, some 5" foam, a zipper and cording.  That is why the quilt is back on "hold" while I make him a nice comfortable cushion.  DH sat on the foam without a cover for a week now and decided that it is comfy.  Making a quilt is delicate work compared to stitching the heavy, upholstery fabric.  I made my own cording from the fabric so the final seams incorporated at least four layers of fabric.  Actually I am pretty pleased as it went together well and looks nice on the chair.  I hope it will wear well!

DH's new cushion (his clutter is blacked out!)
Now back to the quilt....again!

Two corners of quilting done.

Well maybe those two ancient pillows would look better with new fabric on them.  Hmmmm.  I have enough of the upholstery fabric to make a couple of pillows for the sofa, and so I did.

New pillow in front of Puzzle Quilt (Paula Nadelstern)
Photo didn't do well with the colors.  They really look nice in real life.
 Now I need a green pillow.  So I did.  I still need some red buttons and a new pillow form.  I made it with a large log cabin.  Not too pleased.  I shopped in my stash and did the best I could, but it didn't turn out the way my brain said it should.  I am fascinated by the work of Caryl Fallert-Gentry and have been eager to give her method a try.  So I did!  (BTW if you scroll down far enough on her tutorial she shares her method - easy and precise).  I put a swath of yet another green and a piece of red on top the the log cabin.  Now it is really a mish-mash of green with one lonesome bit of red.  It needs more red so I am going to sew red buttons on.  Those in the photo have not been sewn on yet.  I am heading for the thrift store to see if I can find a few more interesting buttons.

My green pillow cover with trial buttons not sewn yet.
Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you time to sew something new.

6 comments:

  1. That’s a great job you did on the cushion upholstery. I know because I have reupholstered an antique chair from tying the springs all the way to the upholstery and the braided cording. Your buttons will be a nice addition to the pillow top. I also did a recent button addition project to a wall hanging. I hope your husband enjoys the chair thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cushion looks professionally done - great job!!! I like your log cabin with extras...it will be a beautiful pillow. I hope you find the interesting buttons you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the introduction to Carol Fallert-Gentry!! I am now HOOKED!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she fabulous? Those curves were so easy and went together like a dream. I want to do a quilt like that, but haven't come up with a viable design yet. In time it will jump out of my head.

      Delete
  4. Great job on the chair and on the blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...