Monday, June 24, 2019

Summertime Saga

It is summer.  It has been snowing on the high peaks and lower in some places.  High mountain roads are closed.  Colorado dream!  It is cold - I wore my winter jacket to walk the dog this morning.  My blogging will be erratic all summer so I will explain.

We just returned from a fabulous trip to CA for our granddaughter's wedding.  It was a wonderful time with family and friends.  We travelled with my sister and her husband and explored Black Dragon wash in Utah along the way.  It is a short hike from the freeway and has pictographs 2,000 years old.

2000 year old pictographs (paintings)
We walked the Pacific beach on a beautiful day.

Fiber art on the beach.


On the way home we hiked into Little Wild Horse Canyon in Utah.  It is a slot canyon and was a marvelous adventure.

Slot Canyon

More slot canyon
It is good to be home for a minute, but we will be off again in a few days for more family visits and a reunion.

Before I left I mentioned a problem with my sewing machine.  It is the intermittent failure of the needle-up/needle-down button.  This was not resolved as it will be easier and cheaper to tackle it at its annual servicing.  The machine still sits under the table in its Tutto bag.  No time to sew anyway and I need the bedroom to be available for guests this summer.

Rather than get all the sewing stuff out I decided to start caning the first of 8 antique chairs on which the cane seats got brittle and broke down.  DH helped by removing the damaged cane and cleaning the surface so I am ready to start weaving.  Unfortunately, I started the job with cane that was at least 25 years old and found that it too was old and brittle.  Now I am starting over with brand new cane.  By the time I do 8 chairs I ought to get pretty good at it!

Round 4 of caning the chair.
The end of July and all of August will be busy with houseguests (daughters and families) so once again the quilting will have to be put aside until fall.  I will miss it, but doing the chairs will be a different sort of interlude...and one that is very necessary.  We don't have any chairs to pull up to the table, except a motley bunch of unrelated, odd ones.

Sew some happy seams this week, or do something else.  It is summertime!

4 comments:

  1. You are indeed quite active this summer! I appreciated your photos, especially of the fiber art. I'm glad you can at least work on the caning this summer. I would go nuts if I couldn't do any crafting at all. I bet those chairs will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of satisfaction in doing the caning. It is so pretty when done.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your having a great start to summer! As for the caning, you can't get it pre-made and insert? Seems like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could buy pre-woven seats, but it is so satisfying to do the work myself. I like doing this kind of stuff.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...