Sunday, October 13, 2019

I'm Back!!

Too busy to sew, too busy to write.  I have had a wild several months, but have finally returned to my needle and threads.  It has been strange not to sew, but I have not been idle.

Our summer panned out as follows:
10 days in June traveling to and from Southern CA for the wedding of our granddaughter.

Photo by Summer Rae
....and hiking a slot canyon along the way.  So cool!

Little Wild Horse Canyon, UT
10 days to get things done at home, mostly fertilize the iris and clean house.

2 weeks in MN to help a daughter pack up her home for a big move.

1 week (left the dog in MN) for a family reunion in TN and lovely drives through the Great Smokey NP.  Then back to MN for a day to pick up the dog.
Dixie (photo by S. Mattson)
Home.  Two days after our arrival the first wave of guests arrived for 2 weeks.  The day after they left the next round of guests arrived for 1 week.  Same day they left the third round of guests arrived for 2 weeks.  All family and wonderful to have them here, but busy for everyone.  Our son-in-law built new steps outside our kitchen door and what a joy they are.

Steps by SIL.  Stonework by yours truly.
That took care of the summer.  I did not take my machine to MN knowing it would be in the way of packing boxes.  However, I did take a chair to replace the cane seat just to have something to do during downtime.  Over the summer I managed to cane four dining room chairs and one big desk chair.
Desk chair with new cane seat and back.
Now that we have already had our first snow,  I am sewing again.  Back at work on the endless quilting of the same quilt I have been working on for almost 3 years now.  Talk about quilting a quilt to death!  When I sat down to quilt again I started on a scrap just to make sure that I hadn't forgotten everything I had previously perfected.  It is like riding a bike.  After you have done a lot of FMG the technique comes back quickly.  I will be glad to get this quilt done though.  I am ready to move on to new things, but still have quite a bit of work ahead of me before it is dead.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I hope you all had a wonderful summer.


6 comments:

  1. That is a lot of travelling and company! The chair looks amazing!
    Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but no hand stitching. My quilting is all on my domestic machine. My stupid fingers can't pull the needle through all that fabric and batting. I am strictly a machine girl.

      Delete
  2. Wow, your summer was a whirl of activity, travel and visitors!!! Nice to get back to "normal" and quilting again!! I haven't even seen my longarm for almost 3 years, so I hope I remember what I was doing or going to do on a quilt that just needs the background quilted on it!! I'm quilting it to death as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear. You will figure it out. Either you will remember or you will do something different and better.

      Delete
  3. Wow!!!! I could not do all that in a whole year - you had a great summer. :) I am highly impressed with your caning job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have you back - looks like you enjoyed your time away!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...