Sunday, October 20, 2019

New-To-Me Updates

I loved my Sewline ceramic marking pencil... until it broke and I was dead in the water on my quilting.  The nose through which the "lead" comes out unscrewed and lost itself. I was at a place where I had to mark some curved lines to guide my quilting, and I can't do anything else until those lines are done.  I made a special trip to town (1 hour) to get a new one.  BTW it was not a wasted trip as I got a lot of other things done while I was down there.  Anyhow, it got me thinking about marking so I revisited a blog I did back in 2014 about all the marking methods with which I have had experience.  The title is, "Marking The Quilt," and it is still apropos after five years.  Has it really been that long?

However, I have a new addition to tell you about.  Crayola Ultra-Clean Markers.  They are being used successfully and come in 10 colors.   The only thing I discovered in reading was to be careful with the yellow.  It may not come out as advertised.  I did a brief test on white fabric that had been pre-washed and all marks washed completely out except yellow and orange, which faded instead of completely disappearing.  Here is a website that has results from more serious, more scientific experimentation.  I think this is a great addition to our supply list. 

The caveat, as always, is: 
TEST IT ON YOUR FABRIC FIRST.  
Some say it heat sets, others say not, so be careful with that iron and 
TEST IT FIRST.





I am almost to the place where I will stitch piano keys on the last part of my border.  I am so excited.  I have always done them by marking straight lines about 1 inch apart as guides.  I have gotten pretty good at straight lines by doing this, but they are still far from perfect.  I purchased a Westalee ruler foot, which works on my machine.  It came with a little ruler that will be great to learn with and will also be just right for my 2 inch long piano keys.  I am psyched to try it out and will keep you posted on the depth and success of my learning curve.


Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you success trying out a new product.

8 comments:

  1. I've seen several friends have great success with Westalee foot and rulers. It makes me want to try but I also have a long arm so I'm wondering why I would go to the expense.... I don't mark much but I'll keep these pens in mind. Good luck with finishing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do want to get finished, but today a sore finger has me lagging. Maybe it will be better tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I use those markers all the time and have for some years. I don't use the yellow and I don't think I've used the orange (for no reason really , just haven't) but I haven't had a problem. I don't find they come out with hand washing but put them in the machine and I've had no problem.

    I use them mostly for baby quilts - my theory is if a washable marker doesn't wash out the material isn't baby suitable anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. I was hoping people would weigh in with their experiences.

      Delete
    2. It was a duplicate of the previous one.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used these markers on occasion in garment sewing (marking back side of fabric) and had good results. I don't think I used yellow though. Thanks for the warning on yellow and orange might not wash out. The bigger problem for me is I keep forgetting about them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Testing is always good advice. Of course, there's always a wash with Dawn that might remove leftover marks.

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...