I mentioned in previous posts that in spite of what I thought was careful planning I have ended up spending way too many hours un-sewing my beautiful plans. After the latest rip session to remove realistic thread painted fires I snugged down excess fabric with grid quilting. Then I cut pieces of three different fabrics into interesting shapes originally drawn on freezer paper. I laid these out over each other and the grid quilting to suggest fire. It looked far better than a realistic rendition of flames and reminded me of a bed of coals. This is so perfect because it does not detract from the thread painted bird, which is the main attraction, but suggests that he is rising out of a hot place.
|Fabrics and some of the freezer paper patterns|
TIP: Be sure to protect your iron and ironing board with heat-resistant teflon, silicone or fiberglass sheets when fusing. I also have a teflon iron shoe, which covers the sole plate of my iron so I don't have to clean it when I am done.
|One raw-edged appliqué group stitched down over the grid|
(looks very bright in isolated photo - more subtle on the quilt)
|Shows more of the appliqués. The red, dotted fabric seems to sparkle.|
|Sunlight on the grid (lump is from quilt being folded over itself)|
TIP: Sometimes less is better. Let the ideas percolate as I have said before. I percolated today as I went into the National Park and walked across (yes, across) Bear Lake. It was frozen and had a big snowman in the middle of it about 7 ft. tall!
|Snowman on Bear Lake; Hallett peak in back.|