Saturday, August 20, 2016

Time out for Binding

Yes, the title says "binding" not "bonding" although bonding with other quilters is usually fun and often informative.

I sent my Phoenix quilt to two shows and it won a Faculty Choice, a Judge's Choice and an Honorable mention.  The judges all mildly dinged me on the binding, but of course didn't say what was wrong with it.  Frustration!  It has been juried into a show in October so I decided to take the faulty binding off, re-watch Sharon Schamber's U-tube video on straight binding, and bind the quilt over again step-by-step from the video.  It was hard to take time off from the present WIP, but I am hoping to achieve something closer to perfection...or at least something the judges like better.  Sharon uses starch, glue, careful cutting and pressing to achieve the bindings on her award-winning quilts.   I have watched this several times and am still practicing.

TIP:  This level of perfection is really not necessary for your everyday bed or baby quilt, but is expected in a show quilt.  The judges check the binding and backing very carefully in choosing the ultimate winners.

In lieu of a boring photo of binding I am inserting this little visitor who came to dine in my wildflower garden this week.  Talk about perfection!

TIP:  Get up from the sewing machine from time to time to enjoy nature's beautiful gifts.

Mule deer fawn.
Sew a happy seam this week.  I wish you perfection in at least one of your endeavors.

5 comments:

  1. Your Phoenix quilt is lovely and deserved to win ribbons. My quilts are not ready for judging at the big quilt shows but I can tell y what I've heard from judges my guild has hired for challenges and for QS judging. Also, I have listened to judges lecture at various guilds. They talk about the quilt filling the binding. They don't want to see the stitching of the binding or if it shows like on machine binding, they want it to be neat. They want to see mitered corners and they want to see the overlaps on the mitered corners sewn down by hand so there is no flap showing. Some judges want to see the same amount of binding on each side of the quilt. If you know the judges, I'd suggest gong to their web sites to see what they say about binding or about judging quilts. You might even decide to send an email and mention your quilt - I'm sure they'd recognize it - and ask if they could offer any suggestions as you want to improve your technique. Another thought is to see if you have anyone locally who judges and ask that person. I know you've taken off the binding but perhaps show another quilt which you think is bound the same way. Please think of enteing it in the ROAD to CA show in Jan. 2017 as I'd love to see it. I just heard that someone I know entered her quilt which was gorgeous in a show and it was rejected. She entered it the next year and it was accepted. I guess due to the categories or perhaps they had already accepted other quilts which were similar. Lastly, thank you for sharing with us. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions. I will use your them as I proceed. I never thought to contact the judges or look at their websites.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your awards and good luck with the new binding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link to the video - I'll be sure to watch it as binding is something I struggle with. My problem is that my binding is never the same size on the front and back. Good luck on 'fixing' yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She shows you how to do it. I can't say I have achieved perfection, but still striving.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...