Monday, October 8, 2018

Motivation

Summer was like a feather, softly  floating down that briefly brushed my cheek before it was blown away.  I haven't sewed a stitch in three months.  What happened?  A busy summer filled with a lot of very physical yard work, a lot of visitors, sewing room used for guests, and some medical issues (DH - not me).

I am noticing what is jabbing me to get motivated again:
1.  DH is feeling better.
2.  Yard work is done so I am not so exhausted.
3.  I am back to my regular exercise routine.
4.  I downloaded an audiobook and am eager to listen to it.
5.  I bought a spool of thread that I need for quilting.
6.  Snow is predicted this week.
7.  I am getting tired of my genealogy research project.
8.  Most of all I am goal-driven and have no UFOs...and do not intend to start collecting now.

The sewing machine is calling louder every day...maybe tomorrow.

*******************

Two days later:  I DID IT!  I finally got out of the "do the chores" mentality and reconnected with my sewing machine.  I haven't forgotten how to quilt.  I sat down to the most tedious motifs and finished them all.

Problem:  Thread kept breaking.

Why:  There is one intersection of too many seams that is lumpy because this is paper pieced and I couldn't get the seam allowance adequately flattened at an early stage.  I am micro-stippling some very small pieces that are stitched together - black on black.  Urrrrgh!

The red circle is the nasty area of heavy seam allowance that defies the needle.

Trying to solve the problem:
Change the needle.  No help.
Change from the old thread to the new spool I bought last week.  No help.
Be careful.

Solution:  Be careful and gently work around the spot.  The presser foot sometimes gets too high over the bump so the needle can't connect with the bobbin thread.  I don't see that there is much else that can be done at this point.  It really isn't noticeable, but judges might ding me for it.  Oh well!

If you look closely you will see the stitches in the black seams.  I sewed the quilt together with medium gray thread.  If those stitches remain noticeable I will run a permanent black pen over them and they will magically disappear.  In other places a little glue shows, but it will disappear when I soak the finished quilt.

I am eagerly looking forward to tomorrow when I can do some quilting that is more fun than micro-stippling.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you lots of motivation and no stitching problems

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried using a hopping foot instead of a presser foot when doing FMQ? Microstippling is tedious no matter what...I really don't like to do it even on my longarm, but I do like the way it looks on a quilt, so I'll endure the pain of trying to see where I have been and where I need to go! Can't wait to see this whole quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point it is moot as I finished that part of the quilting. I have been waiting for Baby Lock to come up with a hopping foot for my machine. So far I do not have that foot. I work on a domestic machine. Thanks for the comment. You have given me another reason why I MUST have one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried beating that intersection into submission? Really, get a wooden clapper or just a mallet (make sure it is clean) and find a place you can pound it a bit. Think of clothing construction days when we would pound things when we tailored clothing. Your stitches look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about it and may do it. I don't think it will help stitching through it, because there are still all those layers of fabric. However, it might make the lump less noticeable. Good idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Super Impressed that you have no UFO s. You must have excellent discipline. And I can’t wait to see the finished piece. It’s intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll admit to being disciplined, but I also have very limited space. That helps!

    ReplyDelete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...