Tuesday, October 16, 2018

My Studio

Have you ever spent time reading about and looking at photos of the beautiful quilting studios that some people have in their homes?  I look at them and drool, but living in a 700 sq ft cabin doesn't leave much room for an exotic studio.  I saw a cabinet on FB that looks like a fabulous solution, but I don't even have room for that!  You can see what they have at "Original ScrapBox."  My "studio" is a bedroom.  The closet is reserved for my husband's clothes.  I keep a twin bed in my studio because I need a guest bed now and then.  I have one domestic sewing machine - that's all I need.

Essentials of my "Studio."
The table under the window (right) is multi-purposed;
*It is a padded ironing table.
*It can be used to store items needed for quilting - as it is now.
*I can strip off the padding and use it for pinning a quilt in preparation for quilting.

Under the ironing table are six, large, plasic stacking drawers.  That is where my sewing supplies are kept right beside the sewing machine.

I can set up a card table if I need to design, trace or do some drawing.  It makes a place to fiddle and fuss while sitting down.  It is fills the room temporarily, but it works.

You can't see the design wall on the wall to the right of the sewing machine (in the photo) and parallel to it.  I have to reach over the machine to attach stuff to it.  Sometimes I need a little stool to reach the high parts, but I have a design wall and love it.  The fourth wall is my husband's closet.

So...where is my stash?  See below:

My stash shed behind the house.
   Yes, it is a little inconvenient, but I have just as much fun as the next person when I go out there and fondle fabric.

A portion of my stash.
It needs tidying up a bit, but that will  have to wait for warmer weather.  It was 5º out this morning.  I couldn't get far enough away to get a photo of all of it, but you can get the idea.

The point of this post is that you don't need much space to make quilts that are loved, warm and appreciated.  A spacious studio is nice, but not critical.  It does help to try to stay organized.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you space if you really need it.

11 comments:

  1. My husband and I live in a 500 sq ft cottage. I work project to project...do not have a stash...only buy for the current project...I will even buy kits. My supplies are in rubbermaid under bed storage containers and my machine goes on my kitchen table when I am sewing. EVERYTHING gets put away at the end of the day. When you need to quilt...you find a way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. There are many ways to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to have so much space plus the extra storage. I live in a one bedroom apt, with my sewing table and work table on the wall opposite my bed. No design wall, just floor, but enough storage and way too much fabric. We Quilters seem to do it wherever we are, like Louise on her boat. It’s our way of,being creative, so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to hear about others who are space-constricted. We do manage to make do, but most of all we are happy that we have still have some space in which to create.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your special space - it has everything you need, and if you get tired, you can just fall into that cozy bed and take a wee nap, lol! (Love the quilt, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Small space is ok, but for sure, a larger place is great too ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your space saving techniques. I was thinking you didn't have a stash until I scrolled to the next photo and saw the shed. Do you have to worry about critters getting into your fabrics? How do you keep them out. Thanks for sharing. I thought my space was small but after reading your story, I have plenty of room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to worry about the mice. I put mouse bait in there. I hate doing it, but I haven't seen any other reliable solution. I don't know where I would put a trap. That shed is very packed with more than just my stash.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mardi! It sounds like your studio is being used to the maximum, and very well. You've made use of all the different spaces that you can, and your storage solutions are great! I love where you keep your stash! Brrr, 5 degrees. Holy moly. I'm guessing you're in ND or MN? I'm in SE Wisconsin and we haven't gotten quite that cold yet (thankfully). Great job, and it sure hasn't impeded your creativity one bit. I love seeing everyone's studios. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the location of my stash. If there is a lot of snow I can't get into it, and if it is cold I have to wear gloves to keep my fingers warm. However, I usually know what I am after and if it is too cold and can haul in a drawer or two with the colors I am after. I have a daughter in La Crosse, but I live in the mountains of CO (7500 ft elevation) and love it.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...