Sunday, December 8, 2019

Cut and Paste

My sewing machine had been gone for almost 4 weeks.  I finally called on a Friday and they apparently scrambled because they had it ready to pick up on Monday.  Now tell me, why couldn't they have done that 3 weeks ago?  The intermittently functioning Start button performed to perfection for them so nothing was done to solve that problem.  The foot pedal works great...even though it is sluggish and jumpy so nothing was done on that.  I am linked to this outfit for the one-year warranty, but after that I will find someone else to work on my machine!  I think I will just buy a new foot pedal.  They aren't very expensive and maybe I'll get one that works better.

Clearly, I have not been sewing, but that doesn't mean I am not working on quilts.  I cut freezer paper, cut fabric, glued, pressed fusible, trimmed, placed and repeated.  My gaillardia is almost ready to quilt except that I found some fabrics in my stash that I missed when I was choosing.  Hmmmm!  I may have to do a few replacements.  We'll see.  The flower turned out great.

Detail from my "Dancing Gaillardia.
Ever since I took the photo of the gaillardia I have puzzled over how I could put it into a quilt.  I was stumped because I was trying to figure out how to accomplish the lovely gradation from yellow to red in the petals.  Now I was forced to face the problem head-on if I wanted to keep busy.  That flower had become my primary fixation.

How to:  First I cut a yellow rectangle for each petal then wet it down with water.  Using Textil fabric paint I painted red on one end of the rectangle and brushed the red with paint and water until it blended with the yellow.  After all was dry I cut out the petal, painted glue on the edges and ironed fusible on the back.  The last touch was to draw the red lines with a fine Sharpie.  That was probably not necessary as I will be quilting over those lines with red thread.

I have also done the background and it was a lot of fun.  I told the fabric to talk to me and it kept on chattering for days until it finally told me I was done.  You'll see it when the quilt is finished.

Lady with her bow.
I got the collie's bow back from Spoonflower and it is gorgeous!  I cut it out in its entirety and fused it to the dog's head.  After spending many hours trying every method in the book, having it printed professionally from my photo was the simplest and the best.  Occam's Razor has invaded my sewing room!  Some edges of the ribbon are a little hard to make out because of value similarity, but a few quilting stitches with a darker or lighter thread will solve that.  The color is stunning and true.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you simplicity and chattering fabric to fuel your creativity.





10 comments:

  1. Your Dancing Gaillardia chats in the most delightful way, doesn't it. The gradation of colour is gorgeous. Love that bow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those painted petals are so pretty... great job on the colour gradation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beyond insane that they had your machine for that long!!! A week is normal in the places I have taken my machine, from Washington to Florida. It's like they really didn't want to do anything to your machine because it wouldn't bring any cash into the business. They still should have taken apart and checked the button and the pedal. I would definitely not go back to them and I would give them honest reviews on Yelp and Yellowpages.com. People need to know what they are getting into with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did open it up and cleaned the contacts so it worked for them, but it is still a problem when I use it. I am sure they tried the pedal with the feed dogs up so, of course they had no problem. I am disgusted with the whole business and they charged me $190. I did get $60 off with two coupons and a "gift" for the delay. Still way too much. Never again!

      Delete
  4. The red bow: absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She was a Christmas dog that year. She is long gone, but was well loved.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I'm really impressed with the job they did on the bow -- it looks straight up real!! Looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond pleased. It is just like the photo I sent in.

      Delete
  6. My machine was taking extra stitches after letting off the foot pedal. A gal at the Houston show, who worked for the machine brand, suggested there might be a kink in the cord. Sure enough, I moved it around, and it stopped when it was supposed to stop. Don't know if that's your problem, but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I don't think that is the problem, but I will definitely check next quilting session.

      Delete

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...