Sunday, March 29, 2020

Round Two

I finished my Wedding Star quilt.  This is a little table topper 30" in both dimensions.  It is a Judy Niemeyer pattern and I do so admire her designs, but I found the directions to be very confusing in some parts.  However, I was able to tough it out without too much waste.  It is paper pieced and I have done lots of that so experience paid off.

In all my years of sewing and quilting this is the first bias binding I have done.  I went straight to Sharon Schamber's wonderful video on how to do it.  She has so many suggestions on how to avoid problems and a really cool method for cutting the bias.    She has some fussy steps in her process, but in using her methods you can avoid errors that might end in a sloppy result.  She also has an excellent video on how to do a straight grain binding.  I HIGHLY recommend that you watch one or both of her tutorials.

"Wedding Star" (pattern by Judy Niemeyer)
Now I am starting another quilt with the same pattern because I have two family weddings coming up and this is my way of celebrating.  I made some mistakes on the first one and I think I can avoid those on this one.  I have plenty of fabric except for one color that I just barely had enough to cut.  If I goof on that one I will have to replace that element with a different fabric.  All the fabrics are from my stash except for 1 yard for background.  That is helpful as the only way I can get fabric at the moment is online.

Design wall with the start of the second "Wedding Star." (testing!)
I hope you are all doing well during this time of isolation.  The virus hasn't changed my life much because we are pretty much a stay-at-home couple at any given time.  I always have plenty to keep me busy at home and soon I will be able to garden.  I feel badly for our 4 graduates this year as they may not be able to celebrate with the usual ceremony, but at least they are able to finish their course work online.  Our two weddings are in August and October, and I really hope that they each will be able to have the wedding of their dreams.  At any rate they will each have a small quilt from Grandma.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you no flu and lots of time to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...