Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Viral Quilting

We are all worrying about a tiny virus that packs a wallop.  Many of us are self-isolating ourselves as much as possible.  Some of you will be extra busy with the kids at home.  Others will be at home with time on your hands.  Well, I no longer have kids at home, but I am always busy within the confines of my house and yard.  However, I miss being able to go to the library, I will go to the store only for dire necessities (like food), restaurants are closed, etc.  So, even if I should feel housebound and want to get out, I won't, except for my daily dog walk.  Quilting can be a blessing at times like this to keep our minds on something other than the troubles.  We are so lucky to have chosen a business or hobby that can keep us immersed in something productive, creative and beautiful.  Of course I assume you have a stash to work from.  I could probably supply the neighborhood.

I have been busy getting my little quilt quilted.  Sometimes I plow straight into a project without planning each step.  I got so excited to get the top all together that I busied myself with building the sandwich so I could settle down to quilting.  About halfway through stitching-in-the-ditch I realized that I hadn't finalized my ideas for the quilting.  So now how am I going to mark it?  That should have been done before the sandwich, but now it was too late.  Never fear, where there is a will there is a way.

I like to completely mark my quilting design because I find it hard to see around the needle apparatus to figure out where I should go next with my freeform designs.  If the lines are drawn it is easier for me.  Some of this I can do free hand with the blue or purple marker, but I need a pattern of some sort with which to mark the bones of the design.  If I had thought ahead I would have used a light box to trace the design.  Now it is too late.  You can create patterns with plastic templates, freezer paper, kitchen dishes, and many other items.  I use old manilla folders.  I cut the pieces and trace around them with a blue marker onto the quilt top.  That sets the main directions of the pattern.  The bird is clipart from the Internet.

Manilla folder pattern for main lines of the design.
Then I draw in the feathers freehand.

Incomplete drawing with the blue marker.
I decided to quilt with pale, purple thread.  The background is white on white, but it looked very stark and blah when I was done piecing.  The purple thread will somewhat disappear after I soak it when I am done, but enough will show to outline the quilting and add interest and a little color to the dull, white background (lower right corner).

Now to the sewing machine.

Sew some happy seams this week.  I wish you novelty in finding/designing quilting patterns.  Stay well and wash your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bagged the Bag

My first attempt at a picnic bag was a fail.  You saw the pictures last week.  I kept revising the design.  I clipped where I shouldn't ...